Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Home again, 2/17/15

Not feeling particularly inspired today.  Nevertheless, time marches on, and so does this blog.  Sorry, couldn't resist the turn of phrase.

Still thinking and planning my move out West.  Today was busier than usual, so I didn't have much down time today that I use for thinking.  One thing I did do, was to take my tablet with me.  I have no wireless internet away from home, so it wasn't useful for that.  I did download the pdf gardening book from the smart phone, which makes it an easier read on that bigger screen.

The book is quite easy to read.  The trouble is, you don't read it, you supposed to do it.  Since I am in no position to do anything at all, all I can do is read and observe without doing.

However, one thing I can do is the first step in the process and that is to plan.  So, what's the plan?  It turns out that gardening may be a bit more about avoiding bad things, like diseases, than anything else.  If you can control the environment in which it grows, yields can be quite good.  That's what I like, great yields and little work.

Here's a couple possibilities in terms of size and such.  If I go small, then 4 quonsets of 16 feet apiece would be built.  Going big would give 4 quonsets of 32 feet apiece.  Naturally, the bigger ones cost more.  But you could do more with them.

The 1.5 foot size looks pretty small in that dimension, but gives room for two side by side, with a 3 foot walk path down the middle of them.

One thing that's important is to not track dirty feet into the grow boxes.  Better yet, not to track dirty feet into the quonset itself.  It may be a good idea to change shoes when inside the quonset and use some of those shoe covers that are used in hospitals.  Yep, you want to keep the joint CLEAN.  Diseases can spread if you don't.  Plants get sick too.  So, controlling the environment should mean keeping the place clear of diseases and pests.  ( hopefully)

Now, if 11 grow boxes can be enough to feed 4 people, then 3 grow boxes should feed yours truly.

The bigger one would be for more than one person, if I managed to find somebody to go in with me.


No comments: