Sunday, February 15, 2015

One for the evening

There was a time when I did an "Evening Wrap", but I don't do those anymore.  However, after a number of posts here, it may be useful to summarize a bit of what I learned this weekend.

I'd say the main thing I learned is that this isn't going to be easy.  There's going to be a long learning curve associated with this move.  Two things that I observed that make me think so:
  1. A bad harvest of potatoes on the second attempt, and
  2. Some crops are inappropriate for a greenhouse, like strawberries
I want everything in the greenhouse because I want to control pests that way.  This may not work, however.  My brother, "Worf", has a greenhouse, and it didn't stop pests in his garden.

But a greenhouse does eliminate some possibilities for some kind of pests, like animals.  Bugs may be a different story.  There's going to have to be a long study period on how to do this, and that includes controlling pests.

All of that is just one part of the learning curve.  There's weather and timing, too.

The bottom line is that I'm not ready to start growing stuff right now, and right now is about the time to start get ready for the growing season.  There has to be a facility before you can grow in that facility, and as of now, there is no facility out there.  Even if there were, I'm not ready to begin growing stuff, because I don't know jack squat about growing anything.

This all looks bad for an early move.  If events force an early move, I suppose I may have to go and give it a shot, but as long as I have the option of going or staying put, the latter option looks best right now.



No comments: