Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Costs for grow boxes

It looks as though sawdust is going to be hard to find without looking around.  No time for that. 

It also appears that grow boxes that can recycle materials as an idea, will be out.  I won't be using that much water, I don't think.

In terms of cubic feet, each grow box is 1.5x30x.67 feet dimensions.  That's 30 cubic feet.

35% sand would be 10.55 cubic feet   or 30 bags   ( 3.99 )
15% perlite would be 4.52 cubic feet  or two bags  ( 16.97 )
50% peat moss would be 15 cubic feet  or 5 bags  ( 10.47 )


sand   $120
perlite $ 34
peat moss  $ 53
sawdust 20
metal    100
honeycomb 250

subtotal $577, if all are bought.  But that won't be the case.

Take out metal ,honeycomb, sawdust as those are impractical.  A little over $ 200 bucks per grow box, not counting the other materials, which should be minor.  A bit over 600 dollars, and I'll have 3 grow boxes.

It may be more convenient to work on if you were to raise the grow boxes up a few feet.  Also, to have only one grow box in a 32 foot quonset.  This is so I can collect more water.  I think these plants and this topsoil are going to be thirstier than I thought.  I could raise the grow boxes in the middle or a little to the side, and place a piece of plywood where the walkway should be.  Want to have a plastic covering over the soil in order to keep out contamination.  Well, this makes me think a bit deeper on the layout of the thing.  That's what planning is for.


No comments: