Monday, February 16, 2015

Home again, 2/16/15

Another slow day.  Perhaps the Federal holiday had something to do with it.  Rush hour traffic did develop, however.

With all the down time, I was able to read the gardening book that I bought over the weekend.  A bit of info there that caught my attention.  It is how much cabbage that one acre could produce.  I don't remember the number, but what got my attention is that 80% of a plant's mass is water, so the amount of water that the plant received was much less than the amount of water that would have fallen in the form of rainfall.  Putting it another way, plants are very inefficient in the use of water.  That fact is something I may investigate further.

I've heard of dry farming, so I'll look at that when I have the time.  I want to point to this location again, as it may be useful in reclaiming water that seeps through the growing plant bed.  From the pics provided, it looks as if the water can drain on out of there once it gets to overflowing.  In my visualization of this, the water seeps through and collects in the honeycomb, overfilling it, and then proceeding through the cracks on down to the exit point at the end, where it can be reclaimed.

All in all, what I've found today is a bit encouraging.

Update:

I'd be interested in using a metal sheet to place under the honeycomb, with the top layer of materials for the grow bed.   The metal sheet will be the impermeable layer that drains the water into a collection point.  This would cost some money to do, but it may be worth it.

Update:

How to get free rainbarrels.

This one goes into the water subseries.

Prev    Next



No comments: