Thursday, April 23, 2015

Assorted notes on just completed trip out West

Prev   Next

A belated decision to put this into the General subseries of the off-the-grid series of posts.


The main goal was to test myself and see where I was in relation to my preparations.  The result was that I did find out that I was definitely not ready to move out there.  There are many other things that have to be decided upon, built, and/or obtained.  Not to mention the fact that there won't be any income once I move out there, so I'd better be ready to support myself in some way when I finally do make the jump.

Some solid achievements
  • I met a neighbor, and made nodding acquaintances with a few others.  That's a big plus on this trip.
  • I built a quonset hut, and although it is riddled with mistakes, I think it was rather sturdy and should hold up until the next trip.
  • I found many places in which my cell phone could conceivably ( and did on one call )  make a call out of the place.  This was a completely unexpected and welcomed surprise.
  • I found some possible opportunities in Sierra Blanca.  It may be possible to obtain a place to rent, if I choose.
  • There was a job opportunity in Van Horn, and it may be possible for me to get the job, but it is not something that I'd want to do for very long.  Still, that's more than what I expected.
  • Although I didn't try everything I wanted to try, I did try almost everything.  The solutions I tried seem to work well for the most part, although there were some malfunctions, like the solar panel.

Some room for improvement:

  • Need to organize better.  Too much time was wasted looking for items that were misplaced.

All in all, a good solid trip.


No comments: