Friday, December 19, 2014

Hacking news

Computer hacking is in the news today.  You know, it may not seem like it, because I seldom discuss it, but I do have a degree in Computer Science.  Even with this degree, this hacking stuff puzzles me.  It puzzles me on one level and it doesn't puzzle me on another.

The way that it puzzles me is why it should be a problem at all.  If these people got serious, there wouldn't be any hacking threats.  Just couldn't happen.  It's like robbing banks.  If you try to rob a bank in this country, you WILL be caught.  There's no other crime that gets committed that has a higher solution rate.  Rob a bank, and you are going to jail.

The same can be said of hacking.  If the powers-that-be cared about this, there wouldn't be any hacking.

I remember reading some discussion about Windows once.  Windows is inherently unsafe and unsecure, it was said.  This is not a bug, but a feature.  It allows easy access to anybody's CPU.  That's why it is unsafe.  There's no way that should be allowed to happen, but the software system was made that way in order to facilitate commerce.  Therefore, the powers-that-be care more about money than they do about your security.  Kinda like solving murders v solving bank robberies.  The government knows where its priorities are.  Your safety and security is not one of them.

One of these days, I am going back to programming computers.  But it won't be with Windows.  I don't know what kind of development platforms are available in Linux, hopefully it is robust.  Otherwise, I see no personal solution for this crap.


No comments: