Tuesday, December 16, 2014

More planning for living on da Ranch

Once I leave town for da Ranch, I'll need an income source.  I've considered raising chinchillas and now tilapia.  However, there are downsides to each.  Raising chins for pets may be an idea, though.

One idea that looks promising is raising earthworms that feed upon Spirulina.  Both are prodigious in their growth rates and can support each other.  For I think that the worms can eat the Spirulina because it is accessible to them.  The worm castings can be sold as fertilizer, hence an income.  This may be the way to get started.  Then, it may be possible to move on to something a bit more challenging, like raising chins.

As for the actual move, I figure that I may need a transition of some kind.  I really can't work in this apartment.  One thing I could do is to rent a storage space to assemble the trailer.  However, I don't want to pull it out there, so I will have to disassemble it, and then assemble it all over again once I get there.  The purpose of all that extra work is to prepare some of the pieces so that I know that they will fit when I get out there.  I don't want any nasty surprises.  I'm pretty sure some holes will need drilling.  In addition, I may have to substitute longer bolts so that they will fit through the 2x4's, as well.  Some of the hardware will have to be changed, and other parts will have to be fitted to make sure that they will work with each other.  Once I am assured of that, then it can disassembled and stored away for that time when I am ready to go.

Now the point of the earthworm discussion comes into play:  If I can be assured of a market for my worm castings as fertilizer, I can consider an early move.  I cannot sustain a long term cash burn, you see.

This requires more thought, but I am running out of time for the earliest possible move would be in late Spring.  Besides, the nod hasn't been given for that yet.


No comments: