Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fusion news

There some news item that I've seen a couple times today about Iran and fusion.  It made me a bit curious, so I looked around a little on the subject of fusion.

As with almost all of what I write about here, it is from a layman's point of view.   The Iranian fusion story didn't appear significant to me, so I dropped that angle.

But I did keep reading on a little further on the subject of fusion.   What I read confirms me in the opinion that I've stated before on this blog ( I think): and that is this: the government will choose the most expensive way that has the least probability of success in order to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  In terms of fusion research, that is the use of tokomaks in order to produce net energy from fusion.

Tokomaks are but one instance of how the government follows the pattern that I pointed out.  Without the documentation that will doubtlessly show that pattern, I leave it up to the reader to mentally confirm or reject that hypothesis.

No comments: