Friday, November 27, 2015

Calculating the square root

Interesting thing I found on Free Republic.  The discussion was about math and how it has been taught over the decades.  Of course, it has been dumbed down considerably.  One would hope that this is not so, but I suspect that it is.

I found this link on how to calculate square roots.  Actually, I used to do this myself a long time ago.  I forgot how to do my own method, which differed from this a bit.  Or did I use another method to calculate something else?  Anyway, I found some useful things that you can do with numbers.  Kids these days?  Who knows?  I'm not sure that they know enough about how to wipe their own backside.

Once upon a time, I wrote a software program I attempted to market.  The software program taught math through the use of simple arithmetic-- which is something similar to what is being done in calculating square roots in this example at the page link.  I sent the program to a publisher who wrote back saying that I should make it a "too easy" as opposed to "too informative" because people would give up.

You wouldn't give up easily if you are sufficiently motivated.  Nuff said.

Liberals make things "too easy".  The good things in life require some effort.  You don't get something for nothing.


No comments: