Friday, March 6, 2015

Fine tuning the plans, part 2

This is a revised version of the last post( see prev link at bottom of page ) .  Or was it this one?  It has been abbreviated and simplified as much as possible.


Review:  The idea is to get something up quickly.  Must simplify.   Start small, as opposed to trying to get everything in place all at once.

Revisions:  The fence should go in Later.   Strongly considering a move to the Berkey system, as opposed to reverse osmosis.  Bare bones electrical system gets pared down a bit further.  I envision a modular system that can expand as circumstances warrant.  Toilet system will be "go anywhere toilet system."

Greenhouse location: must have sun during growing season.  Solarium is for the winter months, which is to provide passive solar warmth in the winter.  Solarium will have to double as a work area.  Begin as a quonset work area, then change it to a solarium for the winter.  Idea:  Staggering the location can get wind blockage that I"m seeking, while not having to change locations.  Or breaking up the things into smaller pieces.

Greenhouse flooring:  Will use plywood.  The plastic tarp will go over the ground and the plywood would fit on top of it.  The dirt must be leveled first.

Finish the canopy:  Drilling the holes could be attempted, and then stick some rebar down in it.  The hole with the rebar in it can be filled with concrete.  The PVC piping I have will fit over the rebar.  It may still need some strengthening, so I will consider added 5 gallon buckets of dirt that goes around the rebar with the PVC going over the rebar, and the dirt going over them both.

Canopy location may have to be changed, or altered.  It is not in the best position to collect rainwater.

Electrical system.  Perhaps a couple of 42 amp hour batteries.  The system can be expanded later.  The little generator can charge them both with a gallon of gasoline.  Solar panels can eventually be installed.  Perhaps the sooner, the better.

Battery education must improve.  I saw some deep cycle batteries at a delivery location today.  It amazed me how powerful the battery appeared to be for its size.  I need to learn more about batteries.

Might consider buying one of these jump starter gizmos.

Design of complete system ( 400 watt/hr )  that could be ordered today, if I wish:
solar panel ($243) , batteries ( 2 @ $134) , charge controller ($207) , inverter ($500)  total $ 1220

Not all hardware is included.  Price may run up a bit more.

May be time to consider Honda 1800 watt generator conversion to propane.  Work this with a small 175 watt dehumidifier and swamp cooler combo or working singly.  Perhaps another $1500

Here's a tentative materials list and tools list:

materials:

6  four foot tall rebar for finishing canopy
10 ten pound bags of concrete ( the same concrete I used the last time)

8 heavy duty stakes for plywood to hold down quonsets
8 cattle panels
8 four by eight plywood
20 two by four wood studs
2 rolls of greenhouse film and associated materials
2 pkgs of nails and assorted hardware and fasteners

2 forty two amp hours batteries
1 rope

lower priority items:

16 five gallon buckets for growing plants, sufficient soils and fertilizers
1 rain barrel to get started, more to add later

tools:

corded drill :  No cordless drill if batteries are already present
bits
pick, ax, heavy mallet, plus all the tools I already possess
something that can be used as a workstand

finally,  food and water to last a week or longer


This one goes into the construction subseries of the off-the-grid posts.

Update:  This post will stay at the top of the heap because I want to keep it fresh in mind.  It will be updated from time to time.  No other posts will take place.  I have to get serious about this, or forget it.  Plans should be getting finalized and I am already getting late in that.


Things to remember:
  • I'm going out West to live, not to die.
  • The lifestyle I am living now is killing me before my time.  If I survive this, I will live longer for it.  It is healthier because of more exercise, better food, and I will probably lose a lot of weight.
  • There is a risk that I won't make it, and the risk is significant.  I have a high risk of heart disease and stroke.  But that can actually be prevented by lifestyle choices.  That's what I'm trying to do, for heavens sake.  Why can't people appreciate that???????????????????????????????  Evidently, it is the social circle I'm in with that doesn't understand these things, and it is better to separate from them.

Prev   Next


No comments: