Thursday, March 5, 2015

As for that post about Vertigo

It might need some clearing up.  My writing is not that good sometimes.  Poor proofreading, I suppose.

Okay, I relate strongly to that movie because something similar happen to me in my own life.  It is not "just a movie" to me.  There's something quite authentic about it.

So, what I wrote about one's troubles being mostly in one's own head--- is very, very true as far as I'm concerned.  That's what this movie is largely about.  Scottie goes insane over something that wasn't even true.  All in his head.  Did I go insane like that?  No, not quite like that.  It was a very, very, very painful point in my life and it had to do with some personal failure, or a failure perceived by me as such, and taken very, very hard.  Fortunately, I snapped out of it.  I can see where someone never snaps out of it and it gets worse until that person dies.

I'm fond of saying that the truth is a slippery thing.  This isn't the same as the post modernists who claim no truth at all.  All I'm saying is that truth is hard to find and possess.  Even if you think you've got it, you may not.  If you are going to die over something, don't let it be over something that you perceive to be true, because your mind can fool you.  Also, people lie their asses off all the damned time.  You could be dying over something that may not even be true.  Try at least to find the truth, and if death must arise from it, at least it was over what was the best that you could do with regards to the truth.  Lots and lots of ambiguity there, but that's the way it is.

As for insanity, I always regarded it as the inability to accept or perceive reality.  Well, that includes just about everyone at some point, or maybe just about all the damned time with every damned body.

It's not a pleasant thought to contemplate, but that may be just the way it is.  Insanity may be the rule, not the exception.

Update:

I should clarify once again.  In the movie, Scottie is lied to by his chum, Gavin Elster, about the identity of Elster's wife.  Scottie should have checked out Elster and his wife before his swallowed Elster's stories.  That's what I mean.  Get your facts straight before you start making sweeping conclusions about situations.  You could be making a big mistake.


No comments: