Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Home again 11/26/14

Actually, I got off early for the holiday.  About an hour and a half early, to be exact.  With that extra time, I went over to the Home Depot and looked around a bit.

A few things I noticed:
  • Refrigerators and freezers are much cheaper than the propane fridges I was looking at.  It may be worth it to just use electricity
  • Looked at some sinks
  • LED lights, too.
  • Got a bad feeling about using an electric drill.  Should I have gone battery powered?
  • Made note of some bathtubs and shower materials.  The best idea may be a shower base only.
  • Looked at a lot of wood.  Noted that I don't know jack squat about wood.  May need to take a short course on the subject.  The wood is for two projects 1) converting the van and 2) building on top of a 5x8 trailer that I'm thinking about.  Each of these projects have been on my mind recently.
  • Noted some insulation materials.  Don't know jack squat about that, either.
  • On the way out, Maker Bot had a display up, and I talked briefly with the person tending it.  Quite interesting gadget, but it is not in my plans at all.
Perhaps the best use of the van is for storing things.  I got an idea to remove the other front seat and replace it with a composting toilet.  Before you go "yuk", keep in mind that it is a composting toilet.  It won't smell up the van, and besides, it has a ventilation system that will handle the smell.  The toilet will fit nicely into the space left.  Also, the shower stall will fit in the back, but that leaves less room for using the van for other things, like moving stuff around.  Come to think of it, the shower stall can't go in the van because you can't stand up.

The trailer could be primarily a bedroom and living room set up.  It may have a loft system, since all you do when you sleep is to lie down.  Not much head room is needed, so the space may be used more advantageously.  Space is going to be real tight, so that is on my mind.

Anyway, it is holiday season, officially.  Tomorrow is turkey day.  I was going to go out west, but had a change in plans.  Staying around home base, and will have dinner with Wishbone.

Best of the holiday season to everyone.  ( I'll be back tomorrow for a little while.)

Update ( Turkey day morning ):

I've been drawing diagrams for the layout in the trailer.  Looks like this may be doable, but not everything is going to fit into it.  It will have a toilet, shower area, bedding area, plus a closet for clothes.  That's pretty much the basics for one night, but for additional time, going to need food storage and there's no room for that in the trailer.  I'll set up the van for that, then.

This goes into the off-the-grid series.

Prev    Next


No comments: