Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fantasy Sports

Fantasy sports in this country are very popular. I admit to being one of the afflicted. For those not familiar with this pasttime, allow me to explain how it works.

Before the season starts in the sport you choose (September for pro football, April for baseball, etc.) you either join a league, or form one yourself. There are many sites from which to pick, I prefer Yahoo.

I first joined a football league in Yahoo 9 years ago. I was asked to join in order to fill the final vacancy in a company sponsored league. Other members of the league helped me to understand how to play. A player draft occurs before the season starts in order to stock your team with players. It's important to submit a list of players you want on your team. The draft can occur in real time with each team picking a player of his choice as his turn comes up or you can just let the computer pick for you in an automated draft.

A real time draft is the most fun, since you have a time limit to make a player choice, and if you take too long, the computer picks for you. (sounds a little Big Brotherish, don't it ). Each week during the football season, the stats of the players on your team are compared to the stats on the team you are pitted against.

If your team leads the stats in more catagories than your opponent leads, you win for the week. At the end of the season a playoff occurs to decide the league champion. Usually the teams in the top half of the finishers gets to play for the championship. The second half play a consolation tourney, but they have been eliminated from the trophy run. In order to win you must keep your roster up to date, because players that can't play (due to injury, suspension, or other reasons) won't get you the stats you need to win.

Some people play for prizes, but most of the leagues I have been a part of do it for funsies only. There are rules for playing, and sometimes people try to cheat. One year I was the commissioner in a football league, and I had to discipline a couple of cheaters. Mostly the players are honest and sportsman-like, but just as in most things, there are crooks in the leagues, too.

If anybody has any questions they would like to ask about fantasy sports, let me hear from you. I am a pretty good player and have been a commissioner in a few different sports. I'd be happy to share my vast knowledge with anyone.

No comments: