Saturday, October 17, 2015

Using the old computer desk for shelving in RV conversion

Looks like it could be a good fit.  It has about the right height, right width ( if modified ), and length.  Now, the modifications may be extensive because the van has a lot of irregularities to it.  Also, the desk part is too wide, so I'll have to cut it in half.  What?!  Yes, it will have to be cut into halves so it won't be too wide.  It may a little too tall, although I think it may fit.  Also, the van's irregularities may require other cuts.

I was thinking of using some insulation in order to make the van easier to climate control.  It can go between the shelving and the skin of the van.  Also, the van's roof is curved.  If I put insulation up there, it can fit between the flat ceiling. and the van's rounded roof.

There's a small piece that goes with the computer desk that the printer went on.  This can be used to house the batteries.  Again, it may need to be modified somewhat.

I'll use my power saw for the mods.

I tell ya, it's a great thing sometimes to just be able to think up this stuff.  The prospect of doing this gives me a kick in the pants.

Update:

Another thing I found that I can use: some metal shelving.  It could fit with the computer desk because it just about the same size.  The computer desk doesn't have shelving, but these shelves will fit inside just right.  Perfect.

You may have noticed that people use the word "perfect" a lot these days.  Now they got me doing it.

Update:

Not so fast with the perfect.  It will take some extensive and well-planned and well-executed modifications in order to make this work.  Been thinking about this for most of this afternoon ( the next day ).

Update ( two days later) :

Now it looks like I'm going to have to make too many cuts to the desk.  Why not just build it from scratch?


No comments: