Saturday, October 24, 2015

Obligatory, 10.24.15; Just drifting along

An aimless sort of start to the the weekend here.  Now that I've gathered myself up enough to do something with this day, I decided to come here and say nothing, like a Seinfeld post.

I was thinking about the interactions on this blog, which do not exist.  There is the opportunity to comment here, but it is actually rare that someone does.  The last commenter wanted to do it anonymously, but I won't permit that.  Evidently, I could get a lot more comments if I did allow it, but the policy will remain the same.

So, why?  If you want interaction, there's a way to get it.  Why not allow it?  The reason is that under a cover of some sort, people will say and do things that they ordinarily will not.  That would be true for me as well, as I would probably write differently if I were writing under a pseudonym.  Since I am writing with my real name, then I believe my commenters should be willing to do the same.  Interesting that nobody seems to want to do that.

What are the alternatives, then?  Email?  That would be even worse.  Presumably, I would be the only one to see the email, so it could really get nasty.  Frankly, I'm not interested in any interpersonal wars with critics.

There is on small possibility and that is to publish pageviews each day.  I've done variations on that during the history of this blog.  I'm not doing it now, though.  Perhaps I can bring that back.  That may be interesting for readers to see what other readers like and don't like.  I've done best of compilations, too.  I could bring that back.  These aren't much, but it is something.  Something is better than nothing, I suppose.

Alright, to show you something about the readership of this blog, I'll take a screenshot of the full history, blogger supplied stats, month-by-month:


As you can see, there was a steady buildup until 2 years ago, then it's been downhill since.   I don't get the change, because the blog hasn't fundamentally changed in any way.  Perhaps there's something I didn't see?

The numbers are now pretty low.  Frankly, the amount of energy I am wiling to supply to it is also low.  It may be a subtle thing like that or something else.

Popularity for its own sake isn't sought here.  Compromises won't be made just to get pageviews.  It has always been about the truth, as much of it as I can see, and/or the way I see it to be.  Perhaps that is what the problem is?

How do I feel about it?  It may be nice to be popular, but I am pretty used to not being popular, so what have I lose?


No comments: