Sunday, October 18, 2015

Living in interesting times

Got some breakfast from a fast food joint.  I know it isn't healthy, but I like it.  A breakfast burrito---eggs, cheese, and sausage.  Yummy.

I don't usually go to the place that I went to just now.  I remembered a visit there not long ago.  They were rather generous with the eggs and sausage, but the price wasn't necessarily such that it was a bargain.  But it was worth the trip back.

While waiting for my food, I noticed that a religious program was on.  Perhaps one might feel gratified, if one is so inclined, but the content may have set you back just a little.  ( maybe )  I don't know if the preacher talking was really meaning to say that God is a unconditional, loving parent.  That phrase kept getting repeated over and over.

Actually, good parents will discipline their children.  "Spare the rod, and spoil the child."  Yep, I'd say that the ideas these days is of the God that is more like a doting grandparent that spoils the kids.  A grandparent isn't responsible for the child, and will likely be a lot more permissive than a parent.  As a parent, you should want your kids to be ready for the time when they have to be out on their own.  A kid needs correction when he starts to screw up.

Maybe the preacher really didn't mean it that way, but given the trends in our society, I sorta suspected the worst.

Earlier this morning, I noted that there was a bar open.  A bar open on a Sunday morning.  It wasn't that long ago that you could not have seen this.  Not to mention that in the seventies, back a little further in time, when I was in high school, there weren't any bars at all because they were illegal.  Clearly, the moral fiber has been giving way as time passes by.  There are those who may be given to call that "progress".  I'm not so sure.


No comments: