Sunday, August 31, 2014

Getting "off-the-grid" may be an illusion

Getting off-the-grid is a term that needs some definition.  No doubt that the term is being applied all too often, which doesn't help when one wants to think clearly and accurately.

Language is the tool of thought.  To have sharp tools, one needs proper definitions.  So, what does it really mean to go off-the-grid?  That question needs answering, or otherwise one risks stumbling into the dark because of foggy thinking.

The term "off-the-grid" must be an ability for basic survival without the need for trading for manufactured goods.  Whatever goods that are needed are made on the spot by one's own abilities and whatever materials are available.

By that definition, I'm not going off-the-grid.  I'm replacing a few things that are currently obtained through trade, but that's about it.  For example, I'm not relying upon major power companies to supply my power.  Also, I am obtaining my own water and taking care of sanitation.  The means to do these things still has to be bought, and when the object wears out, a new one must be obtained.

With respect to that definition and what I'm doing is this: that the project I'm doing is about as difficult a project as I'm capable of doing.  Anything like really going off-the-grid will be impossible.  It's too big of a job to make everything yourself.  It would be a primitive form of existence that probably hasn't been in widespread effect for millenia.  For instance, even relatively savage tribes traded with each other.

Instead, the term and thus the objective should be self-reliance, especially in my older years.  Also, to be able to retire in dignity.  I don't know if I'll get that, but I'm doing about the best I can.

Update:

Should change the last word in the title from "illusion" to "misnomer".

Illusion works in the sense that one can fool oneself.  Using the right word helps remove the illusion.  That's kinda funny, yuk, yuk.


No comments: