Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nerds and Geeks

Got an idea for this post from Glenn Reynold's Instapundit, who mentioned that Neflix is going to make all Star Trek TV shows available for instant streaming.  He called it "nerd heaven".  So, being somewhat of a semanticist (maybe not quiet fanatical about it), I got curious enough to learn the distinction between nerddom and geekdom.

From these two definitions, it appears that a rough estimation could be made here:  better to be a geek than a nerd.  A geek gets it done, a nerd appears to be at the very bottom of the pecking order.  Being a geek earns some status because it implies a certain capability.  Nerds seem to lack everything that could possibly make you cool in some way.  At least a geek can be cool in a certain way at certain times.  There you go, my take on it.  What is yours?

By the way, I like Star Trek, but I wouldn't call myself a "trekkie".  I don't know what that says, but there it is.

Update:

It reminds me of my superhero series, Dr. StrangeBrain.  Every superhero has an alter ego- Peter Parker to Spiderman, Clark Kent to Superman, Bruce Wayne to Batman.   The superhero's real identity is just a geek or a nerd ( but maybe not always in the case of Bruce Wayne).  Do I have to tell you who the alter ego to Dr. StrangeBrain is?  I took something of my own experiences and put it into that character.  It wasn't well planned or well done and it is a first story, or first draft, so to speak.

Inasmuch as this is an arts and sciences blog, fictional superheroes fit into the theme of this blog.  This blog has to be about something, after all.  If I may make something of an analogy here without going too far off the deep end?  Here it is: art is the alter ego of science.  Art is Batman; Science is a Moon Shot.  This also fits the theme of the Superhero series, and Dr StrangeBrain.   StrangeBrain is fiction, but my life is real.

Does Dr. StrangeBrain have a song?  The Doors' People are Strange comes to mind.  That amuses me, so I'll make it the Doctor's theme song.  I can relate to that song.

No comments: