Thursday, April 14, 2011

Jay Cost

On the old blog, I wrote some stuff he put out on his old Horserace Blog.  (The link here is to he RealClear Politics site).  He seemed to be right back then, so I pretty much started paying attention to him.  The reason I mention him is that he has a post on The Weekly Standard , which says Obama is not a good politician.  Should this be taken seriously?  I guess that in order to be consistent with what I just said, I would have to.

The Weekly Standard is a right wing outfit.  If he writes for them, he is approaching it from that angle.  People judge you by the company you keep.

There's not a whole lot on him.  When I see that, I can see where I would have a problem.  People will judge you by "who" you are, as opposed to "what" you are saying.  If someone wants to see if they should pay attention to you, you have to pass muster in some way.  It always helps to have some type of cachet, which demonstrates that you are somebody worth listening to. Short of that, it becomes something of an uphill battle. It may takes years of dues paying in order to get to that point.

But, in some cases, being an unknown may be helpful.  Obama was, and it didn't hurt him too much.  He used it as a selling point, as Jay Cost pointed out.

Why mention it here?  I have no cachet, or not much of one.  I have to create one or use the lack of one as a selling point, somehow.

No comments: