Thursday, April 14, 2011

Salt water algae v fresh water algae

Algae can replace 17% of USA oil imports, but they use too much water according to this.  What if you could use sea water, which covers 3/4 of the Earth's surface?  When I realize that, I wonder why they spent so much effort to solve the problem with a resource that is insufficient, such as fresh water?  I mean, why not develop salt water algae strains?  The salt water algae are recently discovered, though.  The difference in genomes is not insignificant.

It has been a long time, but I studied this too.  I remember that algae based diesel fuel cost 25 bucks a gallon several years ago.  If that price has come down a lot, it would be helpful.  But what if you grew algae on the Moon with lunar water, and carbon dioxide brought from the Earth?  The fuel produced there would still be 25 bucks a gallon, but it is produced on the Moon, which makes it a lot cheaper than launching it from Earth.

No comments: