Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Water and heat

As I wrote earlier, I want to get the most out of my propane bill.  With this cold weather recently, I am using a lot more of the stuff.

So, I am re-doing the experiments I did last year with the distillation of water.  I figured I might as well get something accomplished with the heat besides just heating up the joint.

As a result, I think I reclaimed a certain amount of water, but how much is hard to say.  This is not exactly a precise experiment.

The deal worked like this:  I took recently used water for dishwashing, and put it into the tea kettle converted to distillation.  This is a device that I made last winter.

The results were a really small amount of water, but the steam went into the trailer.  The steam was adding to the humidity of the trailer, so I used the dehumidifier to take out the water.  As a result, I have collected maybe a quart of water.  I may have evaporated more than that.

There is a significant amount of waste water that now goes into the septic tank.  The difference is that before I did this, ALL of it did.  Now, I can keep maybe half of it.  This was my goal all along.

The cost was a bit of extra electricity for the dehumidifier.  But that helps to warm up the place too.  Is this being efficient?

Let us hope so.  But even if it is not, it is a kinda interesting experiment.


No comments: