Monday, March 21, 2016

Political commentary

There is going to be political commentary here.  Perhaps the American Republic is really dead, but it still seems alive to me.  So, I am going to comment upon it.  Even if it is dead, somebody needs to give it an eulogy.

The current anti Trump fever is annoying to me.  Those who I thought I was in agreement with continue to misrepresent the man, and frankly, I am getting sick and tired of it.

If those of you who are against Trump would talk about his policy proposals instead of why you don't like his personality, I think we could still have a good discussion.

It reminds me of what Gingrich said in the last election cycle:  too many people turn this into a contest of personalities rather than ideas.

Well, one idea that Trump  has is to level the playing field with respect to trade.  Too many on the GOP side seem to think that the trade deficit doesn't matter.  I never agreed with that.  You may recall that at the end of the Bush presidency in 2008, the trade deficit was freakin' huge.  My recollection was that it was getting near 800 billion per year.  Oil was trading at times in 2008 at well over a hundred dollars a barrel.  Pump prices were sky high.  So, this was a good thing?

One thing that I noticed on Trump's website is that he mentioned China.  In the year 2000, China was admitted into the trade system.  Is it just a coincidence that since that time, the US economy has sucked?

Where is the discussion about this?  No, they want to talk about Trump personally.  I think the trade issue is one that needs discussion.  There isn't any discussion about it at all.  Why do you suppose that is so?  Is it because the powers that be do not want to discuss trade?  Why wouldn't they?  Well, is it because their trade policy has been a failure and that is why they don't want to talk about it?

The GOP wants to talk about personalities.  No wonder that they lose all the time.  Democrats want to talk about the economy.  Funny how they want to do that.  They've been in on this ride just as the GOP has been.



No comments: