Monday, March 21, 2016

Why bother?

Five and a half years of blogging, and few readers.  Very few.  Sometimes I wonder about this habit of mine.

Not to mention that even if I had much influence, it doesn't do much for me personally.  If all of a sudden, the world heeded my every word, and things started going the way I think they should, it wouldn't make much of a difference in my own life.  Why bother?

Truth to it is that I don't know.  I just press on.  Maybe it could be thought of as a type of penance.  But why would I need to do that?  Don't know.  Don't think I have wronged anybody.  Maybe the penance wouldn't be recognized as such, and may be considered as bad as anything else that I have done.

Nope, there doesn't appear to be any reason for it other than I like to do it.  So I do it.

With that thought in mind, I turn to another person out there.  But this person does have an audience.

That person says that it is axiomatic that the culture has degraded to such an extent that to seek office is evidence that that person is unfit to hold office.

Axiomatic is the word.  She keeps repeating her axiom, as some of her readers just don't get it.  Well, for me, I decided to look up the word "axiomatic".  What I got out of the definition is that if it is axiomatic, then it cannot be argued against.  Sort of like water being wet.  The sun rising in the east.  And so on.  In other words, it ain't axiomatic if she has to keep explaining it.

Perhaps I shouldn't write that here.  Perhaps I should write her and tell her this.  I have a hunch though that this wouldn't work.  Nor would this little post.  It is just another example of why should I bother?  If people are going to believe something or other, they are not going to be argued out of it.

It is like AGW.  People believe in it.  Why bother arguing against it?  They won't change their minds, because it is a belief, not a rational conclusion based upon facts.

I could go on and on and on.  No.  We do not live in a rational world.  Yes, that may be said to be axiomatic, but I might get an argument about that.  That is, if I had an audience.


No comments: