Friday, January 8, 2016

Revisiting the water situation

Not too long ago, I came upon an ad for a gasoline powered generator that seemed capable of greatly improving my power situation.  The wind and solar options don't seem so appealing in the winter months.  An overcast sky can nix the solar option completely, so a backup is necessary.

If wind were to be chosen, it can do a lot, but it isn't cheap.  But this gas powered generator can deliver several kilowatts of power and it claims to be able to run a computer.  If it can run a computer, it may be able to handle most anything you can throw at it.

So that intrigued me on the subject of water.  I looked into the these atmospheric water generators, but they are ridiculously expensive.  Back to the dehumidifier, it seems.  But even a dehumidifier will soak up a lot of wattage.  This little generator can fill that gap.

Of course you've got to spend the bucks on gasoline.  In the end, if I can pull a couple gallons of water out each day, I won't have to worry about water.  Nor would I have to haul it in.

Naturally, I can keep up with my other plans to capture rainfall.  This would be for crops though.

It also occurred to me that I could put the dehumidifier in the greenhouse and recapture the lost evaporated water from the plants.

The cost to buy the hardware?   Less than a thousand.  A thousand for water independence?  Sounds like a plan, or at least worthy of an experiment and try it out.

This goes into the water sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.

Prev   Next


No comments: