Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A cause for truth

If this blog has been anything, anything at all, it is about truth.  Not to claim that I am totally right about everything, mind you.  It is also about humility- "the truth is a slippery thing".  Someone who says that their version of truth is the absolute truth may be telling you a big story.  My story is humble, I hope.  Sure, it is easy to say that whatever you say is absolute truth, but is it really?  It is a version, your version, and it is subject to bias.

Some may confuse what I have written here as just plain old post-modernism.  If it is, then I don't understand post-modernism.  My understanding of post-modernism is that those who subscribe to this believe that there really isn't any absolute truth at all.  If I am correct in my understanding, then this blog is definitely not into that.  Instead, quite the opposite.  All I'm saying is that knowing the truth is not as easy as saying that you are in complete possession of it.  To say that you are in complete possession of the truth is quite easy, but to be in actual possession of it may be impossible.  Nevertheless, I think that one should seek it.

That said, let's move on to the point.  The point is that people really aren't into the truth anyway. or so it seems.  Perhaps that is too harsh?  Well, I look around and I see so much that looks false to me.  Yes, and I can detect falseness in myself.  The difference is that I don't want to be false, and most people, I suspect, couldn't care less about it as a matter of moral necessity.  An example?  How does Hillary Clinton lead in the polls for the nomination of her party to be POTUS?   Didn't her husband run on the premise that "character didn't matter"?  Since the majority agreed twice that it didn't, then evidently it doesn't.

There was a paragraph here about the Ten Commandments.  But I don't know them, and to write about them subjects me to being called a hypocrite.  I thought that one of the commandments was not to lie.  But it is a bit different than that--- "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."  Does that mean that merely lying may not be a technical violation of the commandment?  If so, then I was wrong about it being one of the commandments.  This interpretation there may not be correct, though.  Let's just say that this isn't preaching.  It is more like persuasion.  Truth telling should be a habit.  Truth detection should be a habit.  Truth should be a way of life.

Wouldn't things be a whole lot better if you could trust people?  The less trust there is the less civilized a society can be.   A cause for truth amongst the people in a society will establish more trust than if people lied to each other all the time, wouldn't you think?  But, it seems as though we are headed in the wrong direction, towards less truth and less trust.

Which brings me back to this blog.  I wanted to get this blog established with an audience, but for some reason, it has failed to get much of one.  So, one of the things I do is to try using the social media as a way of improving the pageviews.  But that may be even more false.   As I have written above, it is so easy to be false to each other.  Especially when you hide behind some facade of some kind.  Social media may be a facade that we show each other, not necessarily "the real thing".

Is there any solution, then?

The social media may be a good place to set up a cause, which I would dub as the cause for truth.  You can set up this cause, but will people follow it?  Oh yeah, they may pay lip service to it.  But will they make it a part of their lives?

Our future may depend upon it.

Or maybe my future.  After all, that's what I care about most.  Just like everybody else.  That admission may be what can be called an Inconvenient Truth.  Admitting something like that isn't what I like to do.  It is embarrassing.  That's how someone can get started with the lies.   The lies make things go smoother except when there's just too darn many of them.


No comments: