Sunday, September 21, 2014

Thinking of giving up on water filtration

This looks too time consuming and unreliable to work.

The last straw might have occurred today as the water started draining much too slowly again.  I'm not bothering to fix it again.  The good thing about it is that I didn't spend much money on it.  The bad thing about it is that one idea for generating water seems to have gone by the wayside.

One possible thing to try next is sand without any impurities in it.  Anything that gums up like clay will make this thing way too inefficient.

Update:

How much water does one person need?  According to the off-the-grid Ebook author, it was 25 gallons per week:
I had installed a 25 gallon water tank under my sink and set it up so I could fill it from outside through a spout similar to an rv setup. I just dumped the barrels into my tank.
This 25 gallons was enough to wash dishes, cook, clean, and shower for one person for a week. If you have more people you will need to size your tank accordingly.---
Lamar Alexander
I was figuring on 10 gallons per day.  This dude made it on less than half that.  There are devices that will pull the water right out of the air that cost a couple hundred bucks.  You may be able to get that much from each device.

Update ( 9/22/14):

Overnight, the thing only produced about an ounce of water.  Very slow.  The good news is that the water is fairly clear, not yellow.  Still, it smells.  Some other experiments indicated that the smell can be reduced, but it may be smelly due to the sand having had some bad stuff go through it already.  Nevertheless, it smells.

I think I will try a few more experiments before quitting on this.


No comments: