Thursday, February 13, 2020

Niacin Lowers Cholesterol Better than Prescription Drugs

2.13.20:

Update:

Oldie, but maybe a goodie.  It so happens that I'm trying this experiment with oat bran and niacin in order to see if it helps with my own cholesterol.  It will be a while before my next wellness visit, though.


2.8.13:

thebetterhealthstore.com

Examiner | Rachel Hillier Pratt | A new study out shows vitamin B3, also known as niacin, lowers bad cholesterol more effectively than a common statin drug, ezetimibe, sold as Zetia...However a new study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, not only shows niacin contributing to a more significant drop in bad cholesterol (LDL), but also shows increases in the amount of good cholesterol (HDL). ..high doses of vitamin B3 can cause occasional discomfort known as flushing. According to the homesteading website, Doctoryourself, flushing causes “a pinkness about the cheeks, ears, neck, forearms and perhaps elsewhere. A slight niacin flush should end in about ten minutes or so.

There was a book out more than 20 years ago that mentioned the benefits of niacin.  It also included a reference to oat bran as helpful also.  I tried the oat bran, but it was hard on my stomach, so I stopped that.  In addition, I never bothered trying the niacin part.

It turned out that later, the oat bran part of this cholesterol cure was discredited.

Evidently, this was a bit premature.  There does appear to be a benefit of oatmeal as well as niacin.  I've been reading on this subject this morning, and the stuff out there surprises me a bit.   For more information about foods that help you with your cholesterol, check this slideshow.


No comments: