Friday, January 4, 2013

Mea culpa on the "me too"

It may be worth explaining in more detail the reasons why I support some ideas that could be described as "green".  After all, I have been critical of certain conservatives, or all conservatives, who seemed to have accepted the premises of the left.  Being somewhat "green" in my way of thinking is one of them, hence the effort at explanation.

To explain, it will be necessary to look back in time.

Back in 2004, I noticed that the demand for oil was outstripping the supply.  So, I wrote this short blurb in the original Boots and Oil blog that I had been writing in for awhile back then:



Ever since that time, I've been researching ways to solve this problem.  I figured at the time that it might be "the next big thing".  In a way, it was.  Prices went up to $150 per barrel and have stayed not too far below that for the last 4 years.

Of course I've read about Peak Oil, but that doesn't mean that I believe in it.  However, there is a bias towards not developing our own fossil fuel resources in this country--- there is a Political Peak Oil.  Despite the hostility, fracking has increased supplies, and the USA may be on its way towards energy self-sufficiency. However, I don't consider this to be a permanent solution to the energy problem.  That's because the left will not accept this turn of events.  They will attempt to shut it down due to their supposed concerns about global warming.  Therefore, I accept the fact that we have to acknowledge the left even though we don't necessarily have to agree with them.  Hence, my acceptance of one of their premises.

At some point, carbon emissions will have to end.  If there's one premise that I accept, it is that one.  Besides the left's hostility towards fossil fuels, it must also be noted and acknowledged that we are changing the atmosphere by using them.  I am of the opinion that this isn't a desirable outcome over the long run.  Therefore, fossil fuels will have to be phased out eventually.  The argument shouldn't be about carbon emissions per se, but how to end them eventually without destroying the economic basis of the country.

My research into energy solutions led me to invest in a company called Altair Nano, which makes batteries.  So, this was research that was intended to make money.  That investment didn't work out, but my research didn't stop.  It is all a part of being informed, like being informed about politics.  It is a never ending requirement for an investor or entrepreneur.

Becoming informed about the political situation is important.  That affects the economic situation, which in turn affects stock prices.  I had to learn this the hard way.  This isn't necessarily the best way to learn things.  Something that, when it comes to politics, everyone should take heed of.

Conservatives may not like this, but the government is going to be a factor in the economy for the foreseeable future.  Even more so now that Obama has won a second term.  Therefore, politics is going to matter.  In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter so much, but this, alas, is not a perfect world.

I see it this way--- either you go with the flow, or the flow will sweep over you like a tsunami.  If you go with the flow, you can affect events in a way that is more to your liking.  If you fight it, and you lose, you may end up with something far worse.

I don't like the political deal that was just made, but I suppose I could be more philosophical about it and accept it.  That's just the nature of the beast right now and you can only get what you can get.

Nevertheless, sometimes you have to fight.  I still think that a fight was worthwhile on this budget deal, but maybe not everybody agrees.  It may well be worth remembering that even amongst those with whom you agree that there will still be differences.  Perhaps better to go with the flow as opposed to the flow rolling over you like a tsunami.

After all, a thing is what it is.


No comments: