Thursday, February 3, 2011

Focus Fusion

A short video on Focus Fusion. I don't understand the concept myself yet. But I do know that fusion produces a lot of heat. If you produce a lot of heat, you can use this for spacecraft propulsion.





Update: 12:45pm cst

Okay, I'm an ignoramus when it comes to rocket science.  So, I'm spending time reading up on this stuff and trying to understand it.  I came across this, and it just blew me away.  Could this be true?   I'm trying to figure out what kind of thrust you can get from a kilowatt hour of electricity.  (which is about 10 cents worth at current market prices).  In order to use this page, look up kilowatt hour on the left column, and then newton meter on the right.  The result is 3600000.  That seems way too high.  If this is correct, then the current methods of propulsion are extremely inefficient, to say the least.  But I am an ignoramus.  What do I know?

No comments: