Sunday, December 19, 2010

Organization counts

I like to read Lance Zierlein on chron.com sports. He is an NFL guy and I
think his dad was in the league as a coach. His latest blog post was about
the Houston Texans and how they are managing to go down in history as a
study in futility.

Maybe that is not exactly how he put it, that's my way of putting it. Yet
it doesn't surprise me at all. Before the season, when everybody was picking
the Texans to be playoff contenders, I had them pegged at 8-8. They will
do no better than that, and they just may do worse.

There was something there, maybe it was a comment about what Kubiak has
been saying that struck me.  He said that he believed in his system and that
they were going to stick with their system.  Now, a system is not the same
thing as intelligence.  No system can deal with novel situations.  Only intelligence
can do that.  After all, a system is just a system.  A human mind is smarter
than a system and will beat it every time.  Intelligence wins over systems.

But systems matter too.  All I am saying is that systems don't substitute for
intelligence.  If it does, you are going to get yourself into trouble.  If my hunch
is correct, I may have put my finger on what is  wrong with this team.

I would have made this as a comment, but has been too long since he made
this blog post, so I won't comment there, but post here.  Here is the link to
this blog post, in case you're interested.

No comments: