Sunday, December 19, 2010

A time for new thinking

Well, it's Sunday morning, and I'm back at it here.  Today is the day of rest, but we don't get any around here. That's a joke, son.

Anyway, I figured I would start a new topic last week.  I felt pretty good last week about this blog.  Things were on the upswing, but the enthusiasm was getting a little out of hand.  So, I figured I needed something to keep my feet on the ground.  Well, maybe I shouldn't have worried about that.  The world will kick your butt and make you get your butt back on the ground, and your butt is connected to your feet.  This blog's audience seemed to take a dive this past week, and that was the butt kicker.  So now I am on the opposite end of needing to stay centered.  I need something that will help me keep my chin up.

There are always little things to feel optimistic about, when it comes to this endeavor, but is it a realistic way of proceeding?  Every step forward here is a baby step.  Every step backward is a pratfall, it seems.  But I try to learn from my mistakes so I can keep moving forward.  Too many of these and I will run out of time.

My biggest problem seems to be with myself.  What I am referring to here is my own habits which tend to undermine my best efforts.  Take yesterday, for example.  While at the San Jacinto Battleground, I noticed a man walking in my direction while I was checking out their nature trail at the park.  I have this habit of avoiding social situations.  That seems to be the way I'm built.  It is customary for me to avoid people, and I started to turn around and go in the opposite direction.  But I caught myself.  Because I have become aware of this tendency to do this, and I want to stop doing it.  It just doesn't work for me anymore, I have to change my ways.  So, rather than do the habitual thing, I slowed down and made some social pleasantries with the guy.




He turned out to be someone who went to the same high school that I went to.  He knew the some of the same people I knew, but I didn't know him.  Or I didn't recall knowing him back then.  We got to talking about the old days and I learned a few things I didn't know.  For instance, one guy I used to be buddies with has died from cancer.  That makes you feel old.  Like I didn't feel that way already.

We chatted for a few minutes, but I did something that I also have a tendency of doing.  I got a little rude.  I made an abrupt exit because I wanted to do other things besides chatting with my old classmate.  Shame on me.  I need to do better and I fouled up.  Sorry, Robert, if you are reading this.  You see, I gave him the info so that he could access this blog.  Maybe he came already.  I don't know.  If you do come here, Robert, please feel free to comment and let me know.  I don't try to be a jerk, but sometimes, I can't help myself.

No comments: