Saturday, April 23, 2022

Off-grid post, 4-23-22



Today the switcheroo was done. That is to say, the 12 volt controller was replaced with the 24 volt controller. It is now installed and running the swamper. Good thing, because it's suddenly gotten a bit warm inside here.

It wasn't necessary to change it out, but it was. It was because the old one was damaged. I didn't know this. I found out when I took the old one down, and discovered that the plastic had melted the connectors into place. So the thing got hot. I knew as much, but I didn't think it got THAT hot.

So there's a new thing to watch for. Luckily, this new one keeps track of its temperature. Also, I moved it into the living room where I can more easily monitor it. It seems happy for now. It even has a happy face icon on. I guess a frowny face means trouble.

It is hard to figure what went wrong with the old one. It was rated at 380 watts, which was more than I was putting into it. The connections were solid. The only thing I can figure was that it wasn't kept cool enough. The new one is mounted up high, with plenty of space under it. Air can circulate under it, and so it can have a better shot at staying cool.

These controllers I've been working with are CHEAP. That could explain a few things. One problem is keeping the wires and the connections tight. They have a tendency to come loose. The same is true with the new version. I've tried a number of ways, and the last one was the most secure. Yet, it melted the plastic around it. Maybe the metal I used created a resistance? Added resistance may have been the source of the heat, but I'm not sure.

Looks like I have to worry about this thing coming loose. I've racked my brains trying to get it to be more secure, but no luck so far.

So the switch is done, and now I can enjoy the cool air and the relaxation. For the time being, that is.

No comments: