Monday, April 25, 2022

Off-grid post, 4-25-22



There's a slight problem that I've attended to the last couple days. For some reason, the inverter cuts out, and it stops producing ac current. It came back on by itself after awhile, but the next time it did that, it stayed off.

Fiddling around with it didn't bring it back, so I had to dig into it again and figure out what went wrong.

A retrace of all potential causes revealed no problems. One anomaly was found, but it didn't affect its performance any.

It could be an indication of a problem, but aside from it cutting out, there are no other clues. One thing I did was to put a switch on the battery side of the controller. That's because the reset function doesn't bring back the original factory settings. There may be a function that would do that, but I couldn't find anything. Shutting it down does clear everything. It is a programmable controller. It doesn't save settings once it is cut off from the battery.

Aside from clearing it, I see no help for what's happening. So if it does it again, I'll just note the conditions, and clear the thing out. I'll have to wait and see what develops because there's just not enough here to tell me what's wrong.

The anomaly was the fuse. There seems no reason for it, and it may be defective. However, if the replacement fails, then that's a clue. Or if the replacement does the same thing, that's a clue. The anomaly seems to be that it has some sort of metal deposit on the glass case. If it is getting hot, maybe it is melting, but why wouldn't it fail instead?

All in all, this is turning out to be an expensive and time-consuming lesson in how to set up and run one of these things. The 100 watt system I had may have spoiled me a bit. The current system isn't all that much bigger. But it seems a big headache sometimes. All of this time and effort for something that doesn't do all that much.

No comments: