Monday, March 22, 2021

FYI--- 3-22-21

 



It has been a disturbing time lately with respect to my own computer. So much so, it is time to relate some of this, if by any chance it should be of interest, and newsworthy for the readers of this here blog.

It is disturbing because it erodes trust. Trust is absolutely essential in order to function in the world at all. If you cannot trust anybody or anything, you might well be inclined to curl up into a fetal position and start sucking your thumb.

Well, I'd prefer not to do that. That's why I hit upon this theme of TRUTH so much. If somebody LIES to you incessantly, well, how can that lead to TRUST? Hmm? Trust is to societal wellbeing like a well-balanced meal is to your bodily well-being. The lack of trust will lead to societal breakdown like a bad diet leads to bad health. You gotta have trust. Trust starts with TELLING THE FRICKIN' TRUTH.

I'll give Microsoft at least some credit. At least they give you information within these computers, ie. what is going on inside of the black box. If they really wanted to fool you completely, this wouldn't exist. Come to think of it, in future releases of Windows, this may go away. A lot of other things did, why not this too?

A subject that I would like touch upon, in connection with this computer business, is solid state "hard drives".

I used scare quotes because there is no such thing. The "hard drive" is nothing other than non-volatile memory. Volatile memory, in case you need explanation, is that quality of memory in which the computer loses information when a power source is removed. Non-volatile memory means that the information is not lost. A good thing, perhaps, but too much of a good thing can be bad.

Whenever a computer is set up with a solid-state "hard drive", information stays there forever. Think about that for a moment. In the old days, if you shut off your computer, the memory was wiped clean. Not with solid- state hard drives. Everything that was there is still there. Lots of michief can occur in such a situation.

It may be a virus. Virus or no virus, with solid-state hard-drive, how do you get rid of it?

That is what is so disturbing. These things are hazardous to your social health. Once you recognize that the computer is actually set up to SPY ON YOU, then you become very suspicious. At least, that is what I feel at the moment.

The thing that got my attention was that Windows Computer Management app kept informing me of a shutdown situation in which a "clean" shutdown did not occur. Why not? When I first saw this, I did not think of the implications. But it did make me curious enough to want to investigate further.

The more I look, the more worrisome this is getting. I would go so far as to say not to buy solid-state computer drives. Get the old-fashioned hard drives. Even that may not be enough.

Let's put it this way. Along with the aggressive lying that I mentioned, there is also this aggressive spying. It does not bode well for this quality of trust. If I write it to my readers to see, it is meant as a warning for anybody who will pay attention. Our tech lords created this. Our overlords in government permit this. It is increasingly symbiotic.

Nothing good can come from people who act like this. This happens in totalitarian countries of years gone by. It is what they used to say about Nazi Germany of Soviet Russia. It was not supposed to happen in America. Well, I am here to tell you that it does now.

For whatever that is worth to you.





No comments: