Saturday, March 27, 2021

Off-grid post --- 3-27-21

 

-


It has been awhile, but the work has gone onward. Today, the post will be about a subject which I thought was covered sufficiently in prior times. That subject is about water. In particular, how to filter rain-water. It seemed like a dead subject, but I have new news to report.

Previously to now, it seems that I collect more rainwater than I can use. My super conservation practices mean that little water is necessary to run this household. So what is the point in collecting more? Normally, I just dump it all on the ground.

The idea now is to put this water to work. All other attempts were faulty in the sense that a lot of water had to be processed, and my methods up to that time, were just too slow to make that practical. But I think I have improved the throughput of my filtration system to the point in which I can make use of the rainwater that falls.

As long as there isn't too much rain, that is.

But what to do with it? Warm weather is around the corner, and then I will use plenty of water. In fact, so much water that the rainwater that I collect won't be able to keep up.

Once I get out West, the plan is to have up to about 1000 sq. ft. of roof covering. That amount of covering will lead to some huge amounts of water to process by today's standards. That water can also go for climate control, and may be useful in many, many ways.

There is always a need for water. Heck, this latest batch went in washing my van. It is cleaner now than it has ever been. Even back in Houston, where the water was plentiful.

But that is a different story. When it comes to different stories, the one behind the statement of "1000 sq.ft." is one that hasn't been written about. So, I'll give a little rundown on that. The construction plan is to build 2 buildings parallel to each other, and about 12 feet apart. In the middle, in between the two buildings, there will be a cover. The cover will over the trailer, which will be parked there.

This set up will allow significant amount of shade, as well as serve as mentioned above in this post.

So, there it all is. I won't go into too much detail here, but everything is coming along fine.





No comments: