Monday, December 29, 2014

Is the truth always a slippery thing?

Maybe.  That bit about the truth be slippery is one of my favorite sayings.  It is because I know from my own experiences that it is so.  A man ( or woman ) can be wrong.  I was wrong about something, even though I believed very strongly that I was right.  For me, in my own experience, I didn't have the truth, even though I really thought I did.

Now, one thing I notice amongst some people is what I perceive to be a lack of respect for truth.  I will respect truth by admitting my errors when demonstrated that I'm wrong.  But what about others?  Be wary of someone who claims to be always right all the time.  Such cannot be so, unless they have some special pipeline to truth, which I suspect is not so.

That lack of respect of truth can be seen in what the author of the Mahablog has to say.  Will this person ever admit error?  She is defending De Blasio, the mayor of New York.  Now, I don't know all of the particulars there, but what I do suspect to be the truth of the matter is that he is a member of the left wing and the left wing is stirring up these protests against the police.  Now, this author of that blog is saying that De Blasio is innocent.  Really?  He has no responsibility in any of this?  The criticisms of him are unjust and unfair and wrong?

I have very strong doubts about his innocence.  Yet, I am willing to look at all of the facts of the situation.  But I've had my own experiences with the woman who writes that blog.  I don't think she respects the truth.  Hence, her defense of De Blasio is not reliable to me.  I am inclined to not believe this woman.


No comments: