Sunday, July 27, 2014

Leave well enough alone? Not me!

This is likely to be a complicated and maybe incoherent piece of prose.  So what else is new on this blog?  Okay, let's get down to business.  Ann Barnhardt just put up a repost of what she did maybe 3 years ago.  I've been following her about that long, not quite.

The part in the title is relevant to whether or not to respond to this.  I know I have written stuff critical of her for her tax strike.  This latest post defends her decision and does so in a way that makes me think:  should I respond or leave well enough alone?

As usual, there's plenty here that I can agree with, but then...

  • she holds us all responsible for abortion
  • she claims everyone in government knows they are illegitimate and why
  • The Republic is not dead as she claims or she would already be dead
  • Somehow her "logic" comes up with a series of conclusions that well... I don't know.  I don't "worship" the IRS or government just because I pay my taxes
The rest of what she says seems to point in the general direction that if you aren't totally perfect in all ways, you are going to hell.  If that's how she defines Christianity, she's going to lose just about everybody.  She is placing herself in a high, rarified place along with apostles and saints.  Most people are ordinary folk, sheep if you will.  If she truly wants to be that high, she has to do more than just declare a tax strike.

In my view, a tax strike is completely futile.  It won't change a thing except make her poor.  Yes, I read her entire document.  She explains why her decision is correct.  But she only makes a martyr out of herself.  What does she actually accomplish with it?

It is not completely clear that the future will unfold as she believes it will.  If it does, maybe she has a greater power than most people.  But she has been wrong before in her predictions and may well be wrong about this one.

She needs to get off her high horse.

To wit, I respond to the bulleted points above with :

  • If I am responsible for other's sins, I don't want to be a Christian.
  • She doesn't know what's in other people's heads.  She may be smart, but she doesn't read minds.
  • She's not dead yet, the Republic is still in existence.
  • I'll still pay my taxes, thank you very much.  If I can't be in her good graces because of that, then so be it.  I don't answer to Ann Barnhardt.

No comments: