Thursday, July 31, 2014

Checking in: 7/31/14

Same story as before--- using the Google maps to id landmarks for navigation on property.

The maps are so engrossing.  It really does chew up the time.

Why bother?  Well, I've been out there twice now.  Things are not as neat and organized as in the city.  If a map says just go so many feet in one direction, that is easy in the city.  In the boonies,  you've got obstacles to go around and so forth.  There's no nice and neat way to tell distances and direction.  You need landmarks for guidance.  That's what I'm looking for in the maps.  The maps are limited because it looks downward from the sky.  You are seeing trees, bushes, ditches and so forth from way above.  The detail is less than you'd like and it is not in the form that convenient.  So, the landmarks have to be distinctive enough to recognize when I get there the next time.  Otherwise, I'm wasting my time.  I've got to be able to translate the satellite image into something useful that I can use on the ground.

How much longer?  Looks like I'm wrapping up in a few days.  Then I can move on to even more boring stuff.  Bwah hah hah.


No comments: