Saturday, May 25, 2013

Psycho Cybernetics

While I was reading some stuff on Robert Ringer's site, he mentioned Psycho Cybernetics.  It was the first self help book that I ever read.  This was back in the early seventies.

So, I went to YouTube and found a video series on the subject, which was an interview with the author, Maxwell Maltz.

I've read many self help books over the years.  All in all, I'd say they do more good than harm.  There are those who would swear that some self help book has changed their life.  My experiences are much more modest.  I think they've been a good influence, but there's a limit to how much good these books can do.

Please do not misunderstand.  This may seem like a critical statement I just made.  No, no, no.

Any changes that you must make to your inner self must come from within.  The book can only be a guide.  It can do nothing for you by itself.

As for Robert Ringer, the one book and only book of his that I read was called Winning Through Intimidation.   Such a title is deceptive, as he points out himself in the intro to the book.  In my opinion, he is rather clever.  He shows it again and again.  Being clever doesn't hurt in life.

Because of Ringer, I read some of Ayn Rand's stuff.  I probably wouldn't have if he hadn't written such a glowing endorsement of her ideas.

I suppose I write all of this as a way of showing how your path in life can be influenced.  This can be for good or for evil.

As I mentioned, I think the influence has been for the good.  And I am grateful for that.




No comments: