Sunday, May 19, 2013

What's it all about?

This has been an unusual week.  Some stuff going on that I haven't blogged about.  It's about myself, for the most part.  But also about the blog.  First thing, I haven't been well this past week.  I've been struggling with a problem that I've had off and on for the last 3 years.  Not exactly sure what it is, but it is related to what I eat, I think.  Secondly, about the blog:  the pageviews have been all over the place.  I had a great number of pageviews earlier this week by the standard of this blog, but it has dropped off significantly the past few days.

So, I've been thinking about this.  I did a little exercise a few days ago that I once did about 18 months ago in order to find out the impact of this blog.  It's still rated rather poor.  Not much improvement.  One thing that it asked about is keywords.  That made me think---what ARE the keywords that define this blog?  It is not defined well enough here.  So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to try to focus in on this and get something out there that says what its all about.

From the sidebar, you get a rather chaotic view.  It has dozens of categories, but the ones at the very top are that descriptive of what the blog is about.  It seems to be about movies and politics.  But that's not what the blog is about.  I use movies to illustrate what I write.  But the blog isn't about movies, per se.  I write about politics, but I don't think this is a political blog per se.  Hell, I don't even like politics.  I think politics is the opposite of what I do here.  It is a mistake to think politicians can solve our problems for us.

Also from the sidebar, is a short statement to the effect that I'd like to make money with this blog.  Well, that's pretty amusing actually.   This blog hasn't made a penny.  Not a one.  Nothing.  Zilch. Zero.  Nada.

If I were to extract from all this chaos the central idea of this blog, from these examples given here, I would be puzzled.  What IS it all about, anyway?  What do I want to achieve here?

Here's some ideas for answering that question:
  1. Solutions to problems.
  2. Truth.
  3. Making money.
With respect to the first idea, it is something I like to do.  I like solving problems.  Even though I haven't really solved any big ones in my own life.  It's not like I have this great track record of being the big trouble shooter who knocks problems out of the ballpark.  Nope.  Just the same, I like to think about these things and I write about them here.  Maybe nobody ever implements my ideas and I never implement them either.  But the hope is if I could just find ONE thing that works and it gets into physical existence, this would be like a dream come true for me.

About the second idea.  It does no good if it isn't true.  You can make plenty of money by being dishonest.  Lots of crooks out there who have been doing just that.  Here's a flat statement of my intentions:
  • I don't want to deceive anybody.  What I write here is what I believe to be true.  Yet, I could be wrong.  Everything is being done in good faith to the best of my ability.  I wish I had Einstein's genius.  I wish I had Edison's ability to put solutions into physical being.  But, alas, I'm just an average schmuck.
  • I don't want to be deceived.  If I am deceived, then I may deceive others, which contradicts the above.  That doesn't make me happy.
  • I don't want to deceive myself.  That's the easiest thing to do, actually.  And the worse thing.  If I deceive myself, everything else is called into question.  That doesn't make me happy.  I want to live for truth.  If I fail by deceiving myself, I have failed by my own standards---period.
Making money?  Well, that's the toughest thing.  I believe all the good things around us have been created out of good will.  If it were all a result of deceptive tricks, it couldn't exist.  Everything that is good has within itself the kernel of a truth of some kind.  Falsity cannot stand for long, if at all.  So, I want to create something that is worthwhile and hopefully in the meantime, that will make an income for me.  Otherwise, it cannot go on.  We all need to have an income or a reward of some kind to keep us going.  If there's nothing forthcoming, it cannot continue.

I hope this clears things up.  I don't know how to make it any clearer.


No comments: