Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A perfect world

The title of this post is what I want to write about today.  But first, let's look at yesterday's stats.

There was a bit of a dropoff, but towards the end of the day, it fell off a cliff.  So, it appears that I may have lost what interest I had.  I think I know what the problem may be, but I don't know that there's anything I can do about it.  You can't be what you're not.


Incidentally, the last three days has been the best I've had.  This doesn't appear to be carrying over this morning, but I am repeating myself.  That is a good way to segue into my topic.

In a perfect world, you would be understood perfectly.  Or, if you are the one who doesn't understand, you would be able to get it within a reasonable amount of time.  I've been around the block enough to know that I don't always get it.  Plus, when I do get it, it may already be much too late.  That's the imperfect world that we live in.  Somebody out there just doesn't get it.  In a perfect world, that wouldn't happen, or it wouldn't happen too often to be a big problem.

You could easily ask, is it me then?  That's the trouble.  If you got it, then you know who needs to get it. Otherwise, you are in the dark, or somebody else is.  Somebody needs to see the light, but they are not.  And the way forward isn't necessarily clear even if you do get it.

For example, in a perfect world, you can avoid wars.  But the fact that the world isn't perfect, wars keep on happening.  Sometimes the wars can get really big, like a world war.  I've written about this before, if you care to look into it.  Not everyone agrees though, not even about the past.  I'm referring to Adolf Hitler and World War II.  I got a big argument on Amazon about that.  The argument was about how England could have saved their empire if they just let Hitler have his way.  That argument was put forward by Pat Buchanan, and I took exception to it.  I think my argument can best be summed up that a small war is better than a big one.  Once war was inevitable, the best thing was to fight it earlier, as opposed to later.  My argument, therefore, was that England waited too long.  The problem, which was Adolf Hitler, was allowed to get too big.

In a perfect world, you would address problems while they are small.  Don't wait until they get too big and then you have lost control.

But you have to have a realistic attitude about your problems.  If you have you head in the skies, or, to put it more bluntly, your head up your ass, you'll never be able to deal with the problems because you'll never see it coming.  That's what happened to England.

There's an old saying.  "Learn from history, or your doomed to repeat it."  That's one way you can have your head up your ass.  But they are many ways you can be stupid.  Not knowing history is just one way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comment about "letting Hitler get too big" reminds me of Iran. There was a report today that they are building missle bases in Venezuela. Monroe Doctrine anyone?

Greg said...

Lovely.