Monday, April 25, 2011

Interest in fusion rockets

Here is where it began.  I've been spending some time of this subject today, hence the post.

The difference I have with Waddington's idea is that I see no need to produce heat.  Now, the odds are that Waddington is closer to being right about this than I am, but knowing no better, I keep thinking about this anyway.

The calculations I did yesterday may not be useful nor accurate, but it does seem to be consistent with the proposition that any fusion that takes place is quite powerful, as everyone knows.  The thing that strikes me is that the particles are already doing what we want them to do.  The challenge is to make this happen often enough to produce useful amounts of thrust for a spacecraft.

Waddington's idea of using a compulsator device is interesting.  I was thinking, what if there were a lot of electrodes, and each electrode is pulsed and then let idle for awhile before being pulsed again.  There could be hundreds of electrodes that could get pulsed so that you don't have to rely upon a single one.  It is analogous to an automobile engine.  In an internal combustion engine, the coil supplies a current to the spark plug electrode which ignites the air/fuel mixture that produces the power.  Now, I realize this isn't an internal combustion engine.  But the switching mechanism is what I'm using as an analogy.  I want to use multiple electrodes in order to keep the wear and tear on the electrodes to a minimum.  Plus, I want to be firing as often as possible.  The goal would be at least one electrode firing all the time.


The last post about venture capital was an idea that may well be ludicrous at this point, but this idea just keeps persisting.  What if it could work?  All you may need is to build one and try it out.  I don't have the money, nor the technical know how.  It would have to be supplied from elsewhere.

No comments: