Friday, December 10, 2010

Assorted thoughts this a.m.

I need to get better organized.  It is one of my faults.  Take this blog, for example.  There is nothing planned about this blog.  It has just come together, haphazard fashion since mid-September.  That second post followed the first, which was exactly a year before.  This blog has come a long way in terms of appearance, but not in terms of audience.  It is still in the backwaters, so to speak, of the internet.

I got an idea of a rotovator for the Moon.  But you see, I think that I had that idea before.  Now, even though it is my own blog, I don't remember where I wrote about it.  Now I have to go look up what I have already written on the subject so as to avoid repeating what I have already done.  All very inefficient.  The part in having to look up a previous post and the part about repeating myself.  Time is of the essence.  I hate to waste time.

You need to have plans, but I'm not so good about that.  I would rather do whatever comes to mind.  Each day is a new day, and my thoughts are different every morning.  No continuity.  Well, here's the plan for today, if I can stick with it.  I am going to research what I have already written on rotovators and the shuttle's external tank.  I think that this can be used on the Moon.  My idea is to have a rocketless propulsion system for the Moon that could also be used to go where you want to go in the solar system.  If it is large enough, it may be powerful enough to do some interesting things.  The question is, is it manageable?  I can't answer that.  It would take someone who is much better versed on the science of such things.  I am just an ideas kind of guy.

Update:

Well, I found it.  I just added a new label which will be helpful in find posts about the ET.  It is now on this post.  That wasn't so bad, it only took less than 30 minutes to write this post and to find it and to label it.  Not that bad.  I want to mention it before I forget it.  I made a tutorial on how to navigate this blog.  I am going to make this available here shortly.  Back to work.





Update 2:

In less than an hour, I have written this post and updated twice.  Good.  This should be the final update.  I have included a few more labels to aid the reader to navigate this blog.  That reader just might be myself.  So, this is for my benefit as well as anybody else's, if anybody's interested.

About the rocketless propulsion system on the Moon.  The idea is to put a mass driver on the Moon, use that mass driver to catapult a payload to rendezvous with a rotovator which captures it.  The rotovator could draw it inside itself, or it could fling it out into the solar system.  That is the basic idea.  It may be best to have a lunar polar orbit for the rotovator so that it can be in the best position to service a moon base.

Another idea popped up.  To power the moon base, use a solar power tower.  It would consist of aluminum panels which would focus the sun's light onto the tower.  At the top of the tower, there would be a heat exchanger that would transfer the energy so it can be transported to a Stirling engine(s) which could produce electric power to do useful work.

No comments: