Thursday, December 21, 2017

Obligatory, 12.21.17

More discussion of the off-grid project here.

Even though I haven't been posting much about it lately, I have been thinking about it.  As mentioned, I assembled the trailer.  There have been a lot of posts in the off-grid series about using a trailer like this for living in,  It seems a bit crazy, to be sure.

But most of the elements of executing this plan now exist.  The trailer itself exists.  The land exists.  The incinerating toilet exists, and may be available.

A plan exists too, but is always changing.  The question has always been what is the plan?

What do I put out there?  It has always been a minimal kind of building project.  The idea is not to build the Taj Mahal, but something functional and above all---- cheap.

The latest iteration of a plan is this:  just build a carport.  Park the trailer there when I want to stay on the land.  Then go into the city to work, when desired.  Seems that I have been here before with this plan.  Of course.  But the plan is now refined and more savvy due to experience.

Experience has taught me to build something that can last.  Okay.  It doesn't have to be expensive.

So, what is next?

Where to put the incinerating toilet?  I thought of putting it in the trailer, but now I don't like that idea.  I can always use the toilet as a dump station.  I can keep the waste on board for a short time, and then dump it into the toilet for disposal.  This saves money.  Instead of paying somebody for the privilege of dumping waste, the toilet will do the job.  Eventually, the thing will pay for itself in savings.

In other words, the toilet will be on the property.  The property will also be used to reclaim water.  I can build some solar distillers that can clean up the gray water.  Maybe I can get the regulators to approve my plan as a substitute for a septic system.

The land can be my lab for this experiment.  I can grow things after getting things established out there.  Eventually, I may be able to stay there on a full time basis.

We will have to see on that one.


No comments: