Sunday, December 27, 2015

Moonshot blues

With respect to the off-the-grid project ( my personal "moonshot" ), it seems like I am not getting anywhere sometimes.  A tough decision is coming up and it is hard to choose amongst the alternatives.  There are a number of them that are possible.  Making the list produces the following:

  • convert the van
  • obtain a larger, newer "moving van" vehicle with a higher profile
  • use the trailer
  • use the trailer and convert the van
  • do what Wishbone is doing

It will be necessary to identify what the problems are.

One of them is cost.  The budget is really tight.  That would seem to rule out the moving van.
Another is comfort.  Trying to imagine myself living like this doesn't seem appealing if it is full time.
Durability.  Can it last a long time?  It will have to because once it wears out, it may be impossible to replace.
Security.  A theft would be disastrous.  It would be very hard to replace this stuff.
Health.  Is it possible to keep healthy living like that?  Seems like a hard way to live.

Some of these issues may be considered "hard", others "soft".  Health and comfort may be soft.  Durability maybe deferred to future years.  Security and cost are immediate, and therefore "hard".

Seems like I didn't consider quality of life issues.  I relegated that to the back burner, or I didn't want to think about them.

Lately, it seems that an early move out West is to be ruled out.  No move in until begin receiving my SS checks.

I've just about transitioned out of delivery.  Even if I went back, it would have to stop no later than June.

That's a minimum of one year that I will subsist off Uber.  At the moment, this looks dicey.

I've re-read some of my prior postings on this.  It has a repetitive quality about it.  That's why it is the blues.  It reflects a lot of indecision.

Update:

Key is uber.  Have to make uber work better than what it is at the moment.  If it doesn't work better, then most of this is academic.  more

This post will be organized into the general subseries of the main series of  off-the-grid type posts.

Prev   Next



No comments: