Friday, January 15, 2016

Obligatory, 1.15.16; Buckling down as deadline approaches

It is getting close to a deadline for a decision about renewing the lease here, or making the big jump out west.  One thing I keep doing is seemingly going around in circles with these decisions.  Making and unmaking them.  That is not good.  Too late to add to New Year resolutions to correct that.

That is a bit surprising since it seemed like one of my erstwhile decisions was to wait until I get my SS checks before I make the move.  The possibility of living cheaply allows me the option of making the leap after all.  This idea has occurred to me recently.  So I am back to considering an early move.

That was the general idea all along.  But no matter how cheaply one can live, there still exists a need for money, hence the decision to go with Uber.

But going with Uber requires a car, and that complicated the matter a bit.  Seems like I have settled upon getting a parking spot, plus an RV location to dry camp on for the overnights.

The idea is to sleep overnight at a dry camp location, then go retrieve my car for the daytime work.  Once work is done, go swap vehicles in order to complete the cycle.  Repeat procedure each day I am in town until satisfied with amount of money earned, then go back to ranch.  The car will stay in the storage place in town.

Even if the opportunities for making dough in town are limited, that is not a big wad that has to be earned.

Yesterday, I looked around Home Depot a bit.  A sink can be purchased cheap and placed in the second computer desk.  If I can get the second computer desk and drawers in the van, then very few of the pieces that I thought I had to throw away will have to be, in fact, thrown away.  I will be using most of the stuff I got here in the apartment.

It will be a tight fit, but I think it will fit.

To review, the van will have a stereo system, DVD, TV, VCR, computers, storage space for a number of things that I will need out there.  It is almost like taking my furnishings with me and squeezing it all into a small space.  Like living in a closet full of stuff.  Not a time for claustrophobia.

Still trying to figure the money angle.  Can I make enough from Uber?  Buckling down here means working it full time.  Up till now, it has been a part time gig.

That leaves less time for planning the move, though.

Hence, time has to managed carefully.

There is not enough time to spend on posts for the blog, so posting will be light for awhile.

Posted under general subseries in off grid main series of posts.

Prev   Next


No comments: