Friday, June 27, 2014

Soil test

On my trip out West, I managed to think of getting a soil sample to bring back home.  Yay, me.

Seriously, this is important.  I need to know what kind of soil is out there with respect to making adobe bricks.  If it doesn't have enough clay in it, that could be a problem.  Wish I had more samples.  I only got one.  It's like Lays potato chips.  ( You can't eat just one. )

I've already learned one thing from getting the sample itself.  The soil may be super sandy.  That makes sense.  If the mountains in the vicinity are mostly made of sandstone, then this accounts for all the sandy soil.  That place could have been a beach millions of years ago.

As of this writing, I've just placed a soil sample in a glass jar in a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio as indicated here.  I will let it sit overnight, and check the results in the morning.

Update:

RESULTS:   No clay in this soil.  Nearly 100% sand.  There was a top layer of what I could describe as "scum", which may be biological in origin.  This is useless for adobe bricks.


No comments: