Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Nuclear Rocket, Part V

Part V corresponds to Chapter 5 in the book, which is where things get really rocky.  I think I skipped over this part the first time through, so it can be safely said that I didn't really read it.

Now that I have, I can see how he lost Trent Waddington.

The chapter ranges well off into a future which is just too unpredictable.  He has it all planned out, but nothing ever goes according to plan.  NOTHING.  Even if he got his COGO started, it won't necessarily lead to the outcomes he wishes for.

The chapter is mostly fantasy.  It would be a major accomplishment to get the NucRocCorp that he wants, much less the other Congressional Acts that he thinks is necessary for his BIG WET SPACE DREAM.

To give an example, he thinks that a 200, 000 ton press could be lifted into space in order to make better space stations.  Huh?  Even if something like that could be lifted, it all seems over the top to me.  Don't get me wrong.  If we ever had such a capability, I'd be ecstatic.  But it is much more realistic to consider what could get the process that could lead to such an outcome all started.  At this point, NOTHING like this is ever going to happen considering the path we are on.  The chances for this a exactly ZERO.  It would take a major miracle in order to make the probability to move off of zero, if you follow my drift.

I think he stumbles badly beginning with this chapter.


No comments: