Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Why Solutions v Problems?

I'm reminded of the song by Eric Burdon and The Animals. You can have the best of intentions, but the road to hell is said to be paved with good intentions. At the very least, I think it may be time to explain a few things.

The blog is ad hoc, so there's no master plan. It just happens. Whatever comes to mind. Each day, I have no idea what I'll be doing in advance.

That can seem pretty disorganized way of doing things. To compensate, I try to be a little more organized and keep to one subject longer before leaving it.

So, this morning, the thing on my mind is these problems that we have that don't seem to get solved. It is a recurrent theme on this blog. Perhaps it would be useful to explicate on the idea just a bit more than what I've done so far.

Rush Limbaugh once talked about how the politicians don't want to solve problems, but want to use the problem as an issue. Whatever you may think of Limbaugh, that is a really good point. As long as the problem exists, it can provide a reason for existence of someone out there to solve it. There is a conflict of interest then, in trying to actually solve it. What happens when the problem is actually solved? No more need for that politician. He would have solved the problem at the expense of his job.

Another thing Limbaugh talks about is Big Government. It seems that the very first thing people want to do is go run to the Government and have them solve the problem. But what if that really doesn't work very well? Especially if the politicians aren't really interested in actually solving the problem, but just using it for political purpose. Hence, Big Government isn't the way towards solving problems. It may well be the case that problems will just keep on getting bigger and bigger until another way is found.

But it may go deeper than even that. What if Big Government metastasize like a cancer, which will be fatal if it isn't caught in time? What if government deliberately got in the way of actually solving problems because those in government see the solutions as a threat to themselves? That could be like a Tiberius syndrome, also noted earlier on this blog.

But that is nothing new, just a reminder.

Another thing came to mind this morning is the notion of thinking in concepts. I found this in a book about entrepreneurship. You need to learn to think in terms of concepts, it was advised. So, I've made a habit of trying to do that. So far, it hasn't yielded a concept which I can use in a business in order to make money. Obviously, something's missing. I'm not making dough. But the idea is sound in its own right, whether or not you make money off it is another question.

That gets back to good thinking v bad thinking. Just because I haven't gotten rich off of these ideas don't mean that they're bad. But that is how many people think. They'll think, "who's this guy?" If he's so smart, how come he's not rich? Or famous, or what have you.

All I know is what I read about. It used to be books and now it is the web. I'm just finding a way to use those ideas to solve a problem that I'm having. The problem I'm having is that the government is failing me and failing everyone else. Now there's a lot of people who think we are on the wrong track, given the polls. What can be done about this?

That's a political problem because it may require some mass action. People have to be organized in order to solve political problems.

We have solutions to the more serious problems, but we have to mobilize ourselves because the politicians won't do it for us. They will have to be encouraged to do so, or if they won't, they will have to be replaced with somebody who will.

But that is the paradox. You have a problem with government, but you have to deal with government because you have no other choice if the government is actually forcing you to do this. It is forcing a political solution because it has managed to politicize everything. It has politicized everything because it is in their interests to do so. But these interests are not in harmony with the larger interests. So the problems don't get solved. We are at a point where the problems are going to have to get solved, or collapse will be the inevitable result.

In order to get the most from this blog and to understand it, you will have to click through the links.

I'm not just talking out my ass here. I'm relying on smart people. Plus I'm throwing in a little of my own creativity.

There's no need for a war here. Just solve the danged problem.

No comments: