Monday, October 9, 2017

Creosote Bush

On the first trip out to my property, there was a thunderstorm and some rain.  I recall in the early morning hours, that there was a bad smell in the area ( Van Horn).  It was somewhat puzzling to have this bad smell in an area that was so remote.  No industry in the region could make such a smell.  The smell was a strong as the smell from the Houston Ship Channel, which has to be one of the most heavily concentrated industrial regions on the planet.

The environmentalists  like to romanticize nature, but this stink was as bad as any man-made stink that I could recall.

The stink did not come from sewage sludge, as this sludge was miles away.  Besides, I never smelled a smell like that in Sierra Blanca.  This was in Van Horn, which is 30 miles away.

So, what was it?  I am thinking that it was the creosote bush.  The description of this bush is in a book that I have on my Kindle, which I have neglected to read for the last few years.  I have spent several hours today reading this book, and this bush came to mind, because of that smell.

A creosote bush is almost like a petrochemical factory.  Its leaves will burn rather hotly, so it is said.  Bingo.  Here is something that can be used for fuel.  I am sure that there are some of these on my property.

It reminds me that the property can be sustaining.  Yet, I have yet to do anything with it.  It's a doggone shame.


No comments: